Are you immensely passionate about fitness? Yes! Then why not take it to the next level? Turn fitness into a career and make a living out of it.
As a certified fitness trainer, you can make others stay fit while living your passion. You get to work flexible hours, do what you love, and help others achieve their fitness goals. But to be the best in this field you have to invest a fair amount of time and money, which is true to any job.
Once you have made the decision, you will need to plan this well. These are a few tips to help you get your personal training career started right.
Tips to make a career in personal training
- Get certified
Get certified from an accredited certifying organization. Most certifying organizations employ independent third parties to offer your bonafide. These are a few things that you need to get right while looking for certifying organizations.
- a) Is the certificate nationally, internationally or universally recognized?
- b) What is the minimum criteria (qualification and age) to sit for the exam?
- c) Is it a home study program or do you need to attend workshops and seminars?
- d) Do you need to be physically present at the center to take the exam or can you do it online?
- e) How much will the certification cost? The number should include study materials and workshops as well.
- f) Is it possible to renew the certificate? If yes, what are the education requirements?
Note that different employers accept different certificates. Therefore, be aware of what are you up to.
- Choose your specialty
How would you like to fit in the industry? Would you like to help athletes improve their balance, agility, and speed or work in the lifestyle and weight management sector? In orthopedics, you can take care of clients with knee pain and arthritis.
You can also work with older adults to help them maintain muscle mass and come up with fitness plans according to their age. In the medical field, you’ll get to work with post-rehabilitation clients recovering from heart problems, muscle sprains, etc. As a nutritionist, your goal will be to diet charts for clients, help them eat healthily and lose weight. Choose the one role that you are passionate about.
- Invest with caution
Certifications are never cheap, but they are never a waste. Instead, consider them as investments. Typically, they range from $400 to $1,000 according to your package. If you add in materials like textbooks, online portal, practice tests, flashcards, etc. you will have to pay more.
If you don’t have a lot to invest, get a gym (find the best gym in Jaipur) to sponsor you. Yes, you can do that too. If you are in the right place at the right time, you can even get a job and completely waiver your cost of certification.
- Find a gym
Assuming you have received your certification, the next step is to make a living. You can either work for established corporations or build your own gym (provided you have the money).
If you are opting for the former option, there are a lot of different places that you can work. It does not always have to be a health club. You gain experience in commercial gyms, they keep hiring new trainers all the time. But there are a few downsides that include low pay, commission based quota and long hours.
If not commercial gyms, there are also other options like personal training studios, local community centers, hospitals or wellness centers, cruise ships, spas/resorts, corporate fitness, or in-home training.
- Or build your own gym
If you do not want to work for others, you can also set up your own business. It can be as a sole proprietor, limited liability company (LLC), or corporation. These are a few tips that will help you get your gym up and running.
- a) Learn how to manage your business
The zeal to help people stay in shape is not enough. If you are planning on running a business, you have to get it right. There are a dozen things you need to know about, from business registration, licensing, zoning, budgeting, accounting, tracking expenses, to filing taxes and more.
- b) Learn how to make the right financial investment
You will have to invest your money in the right equipment, office supplies, advertising, and marketing. In-demand fitness gears include a treadmill, weights, kettle bells, resistance bands, mats, exercise balls, and stability equipment. Business expenses include investments in website, liability insurance, health insurance, business cards, etc. Other miscellaneous expenses include workout clothes for people, music system, water dispenser, towels, lockers, etc.
- c) Learn how to sell your services
You will need to get your promotions right. If you are new to the market, you have to take a few courses on advertising and maintaining public relations. You can also outsource promotions to third party agencies.
Few tips to market your services
The better you market, the more clients you will get. Here are a few tips that will help you nail marketing.
- a) Buy a domain and hire a web designer. Since everything is online today, you need to have your own website.
- b) Create your own business card. There are low-cost websites available that help you design your own card without professional help.
- c) Set up social media profiles on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. Post on them regularly to communicate with your clients and also to come up with potential business.
- d) Conduct free health seminars. They are an excellent way to meet new clients.
- e) Ask your existing clients for referrals. Offer discounts and other benefits to people who do that.
Personal training is slowly turning into a popular platform today. Due to the constant rise in obesity and sedentary lifestyles, the world is in need of enthusiastic gym trainers (try Fit O’ Clock, the best gym in Raja Park, Jaipur) to help people achieve their fitness goals. Personal trainers have a lot of opportunities on their plate at the moment. Undoubtedly, one of the best careers options that won’t go out of fashion in a long while.